Friday, February 16, 2024

First Oversea Wildlife Trip 2024 (2)

After enjoying the delicious Khao Soi curry noodles, which are unique to Northern Thailand, we continue our journey southward to Lamphun province. Our goal is to observe any raptors that may be found around the paddy fields near Ban Thi.

I am particularly excited about this wildlife trip as it is my first oversea trip in 2024. I am also grateful to have overseas friends, Euphtw, joining me in exploring the wildlife of North Thailand.
The first photo I took with my dslr camera was of a pair of Red-wattled Lapwings.
I spotted a pipit swiftly running through the ridges of the paddy field and disappearing from my sight before I could zoom in closer. It reminded me of the famous cartoon character, Road Runner.
I also saw another bird, the Oriental Skylark, which looks very similar to the pipit and is commonly found in open country areas.
I used to call this bird the Siberian Stonechat, but due to a recent classification change, I am unsure if it is still referred to as the Siberian Stonechat or if it is now called the Amur Stonechat.
I found another familiar bird, the Gray-backed Shrike, seeking shelter under the shade on a hot afternoon.
To my surprise, I witnessed a pond-heron catching a snake. As I zoomed in with my camera, I realised that the snake was actually an eel.
Another bird that I am familiar with, the Indian Roller, is now known as the Indochinese Roller.
I managed to catch a glimpse of a Brown Shrike before it flew away.
Unfortunately, I had no luck spotting any raptors this afternoon. The weather was too hot, and they were most likely soaring high above in the hot thermal currents. Instead, I captured a photo of a flock of Rock Pigeons.



No comments:

Post a Comment