Monday, March 27, 2023

Birding in Hokkaido


Before my trip to Hokkaido, I have no idea what to expect or how different are there in terms of birding in the totally different environment that I so used to in the hot & humid tropical. Beside the warm clothing which is most important one. My personal opinion, a good pair of gloves is equally important. Our fingers have a higher surface to volume ratio, as such they lose heat much faster than other part of our body. I brought 2 pairs of gloves with me for my last Hokkaido winter trip. One is the usual well insulated gloves similar to ski gloves and another just a fleece gloves that give good insulation yet retain flexibility to click on the shutter. I basically change my right hand gloves between shooting and when looking for birds.

As with birding at any part of the world, joy of birding is to be able to spot them in their natural habitat. The easiest part is to spot the clue they left behind such as their dropping or to know where they will look for food. A fruiting tree is always a good place to start or wait.

I am so happy to see a fruiting tree and true enough, I don't have to wait for long. The first bird that appear is this Brown-eared Bulbul. They come in waves.
Japanese waxwing come in the next wave.
Dusky thrush made the appearance too.
The next clue is to follow their calls. Just follow where the noise came from.
I also pay attention to movement. This is particular useful for this Red squirrel.
Knowing your target bird feeding behavior helps you to spot them easier at the usual feeding spot.
All the photos above have one thing in common, they are all feeding. I find their food source and wait for them to appear.
Alternatively, there are feeding station during winter where food source are scarce. You may visit these sanctuary.
Tsurui-Ito Sanctuary is one such place that you might not want to miss.


No comments:

Post a Comment