Friday, March 17, 2023

Red Crowned Crane Watching in Hokkaido

Those who wants to watch and take photo of Red Crowned Crane, Hokkaido is the place to visit especially during winter. Most people will visit Otowa Bridge in the pre-dawn hour as this is the known roosting place for Red crowned cranes. 

The next best place to visit is Tsurui-Ito Tancho Sanctuary where food source are secured and supplied by the sanctuary. Here, you may watch them up close and can be less than a meter or two at times. The photo above are taken at the sanctuary.
Since this is my 2nd trip there, I go other options. Trying to watch them out of these 2 popular spot.
I estimate the flight path of the cranes from Otowa bridge and just wait for them at the road side. True enough, I get what I wish for. A crane with the mountain as background. I purposely choose this photo with the cable line to show that this photo is indeed taken at the roadside.

You can also choose to include some tree instead of just plain blue sky.
I also spotted one and use the tree as the window for framing.
If you are lucky enough, you can even have a shot of the cranes having some intimate time of their own. So, just don't stick to those 2 popular spot, move around and you may find something different that may interest you.

No comments:

Post a Comment