Sunday, March 30, 2008

Suprise Find at Reclaimed Land

I was at Melaka over the week end and stayed at Holiday Inn, opened just last quarter of 2007. Not the new facilities that I wanted to talk about but the surprises that I discovered while on my morning walk along the shore just few minutes from the hotel lobby.
I was attracted by this sign from far - is a Caution/Warning sign on crocodile.
I thought I was so lucky to see one.... no, is not crocodile but monitor lizard.
Looks like a Common Redshank (Tringa totanus) looking for food.
A little heron too...There are lots of giant mud skipperBut, just how big is these mud skippers?Just compare it with this Common Sandpiper (Actitis hypoleucos), is about the same size with the bird!There are also lots of fiddler crabs waving their enlarged pincer.Looks like nature has started to reclaim what is lost to urbanisation about two decades ago. This whole area include where the hotel is are reclaimed during the 80's.
Now I know I have extra itinerary the next time I visit this area again!

No comments:

Post a Comment